View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,135 Times in 2,639 Posts
Default oktoberfest in new mexico

last saturday i went to our local oktoberfest sponsored by the german air force who leases our skies at our local a.f.b. (about 4000 people). being the day before the game i wore my roethlisberger jersey. all night long people approached me to talk about the steelers. keep in mind i live in between dallas, denver and phoenix. out of about 20 people i talked to about football, 2 were cowboy fan friends. a cinci fan from dayton, and a german green bay fan who had started following football a few years back. the rest of the people approached me saying "can the steelers get it done tommorow?" or "this is their year" or "knock off the pats" etc. i met a couple from the north side and we talked pittsburgh for about 20 min. mostly about the steelers. where i live about 60% of the people love the cowboys, the rest really like the steelers and hate the cowboys. now i know why the patfans act the way they do. they dont have a world wide fanbase and have never had a true rivalry in the playoffs or superbowls. even their intra conference rivalries have been pretty weak throughout the years with the bills and dolphins usually coming out on top (except the past 5 years which is an eternity in football history) . i guess the steelers are their true rival. that is sweet that they hold our franchise and fanbase in such high regards. maybe one day they will eclipse the ravens, browns, cinci, raiders, cowboys, etc. as our main rivals. hopefully it is this year. win or lose last sunday, people everywhere will always love the steelers. the patriots.....well, they better just keep winning.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote