Re: #1 pick should be a WR...
I don't want to see the Steelers waste a 1st round pick on a WR. As you will see from the list that I've compiled below, the Steelers have gotten the most production from WR's taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft. If I've missed anyone then they were not drafted by the Steelers therefore proving all the more that a 1st round WR pick is a wasted pick.
Now of course Lynn Swann is most likely the best WR in Steelers history and he was taken in the 1st round but that was a no-brainer pick. The guy was a college all american.
1st round wr's drafted by the Steelers.
1. Lynn Swann 1974
2. Louis Lipps 1984-He was good but worthy of a 1st round pick?
3. Charles Johnson 1994 WRONG ANSWER
4. Troy Edwards 1999 I don't freaking think so.
5. Plaxico Burress 2000, well in my opinion Burress only had one good season with us.
2nd round wr's drafted by the Steelers.
1. Jeff Graham 1991, BUST, BUST, BUST!
2. Will Blackwell 1997, never did measure up to being worthy of even a 4th rounder.
3. Antwaan Randle El 2002, nice pick.
3rd round wr's drafted by the Steelers.
1. Jim Smith 1977, great wr overshawdowed by 2 HOF wr's.
2. Ernie Mills 1991, tough little wr who was very productive for the Steelers.
3. Andre Hastings 1993, with a victory in Super Bowl XXX he would have been the MVP.
4. HINES WARD 1998, enough said.
4th round wr's drafted by the Steelers.
1. John Stallworth 1974, HALL OF FAME!
2. Theo Bell 1976, played well behind Swann, Stallworth and Smith.
3. Calvin Sweeny 1979, came alive in the early 80's but Lipps eventually took over.
4. Yancey Thigpen, was drafted in the 4th round by the Chargers in 1991. The Steelers aquired him as a free agent.