A Steelers Mock Draft by a Saints Fan
Hello Black and Gold Steeler Fans,
I am a Saints fan, but a few weeks ago I got a chance to participate in a 7 round Mock Draft on our Saints forum. (SaintsReport)
I had the pleasure of drafting for the Steelers. I felt I did a lot of research and drafted well.
Apparently there was a tough group of experts on our site and I did not do as well as I thought I did when it came time to voting.
I thought for posterity I might get the opinons and comments of a few Steelers fans.
So with no further ado, here is who I drafted and why I thought they were good moves for the Steelers:
2007 Steelers mock draft recap:
Trades were allowed in our mock draft
3. Pittsburgh trades its #15 pick (round 1) to New York (Giants) for its #20 pick (round 1), #81 pick (round 3), and #116 pick (round 4)
7. Cleveland trades its #36 (round 2) and #178 (round 6) to Pittsburgh for its #46 (round 2), #116 (round 4), #119 (round 4) and #227 (round 7)
9. Pittsburgh trades its #36 (round 2) and #81 (3rd round) to Chicago for its #31 (round 1) and #94 (round 3)
rd 1 - 20. LB Paul Posluszny, Penn State
rd 1 - 31. C Ryan Kalil, USC
rd 3 - 77. CB Fred Bennett, South Carolina
rd 3 - 94. RB Tony Hunt, Penn State
rd 4 - 132. S Michael Johnson, Arizona
rd 5 - 156. OT Mike Otto, Purdue
rd 5 - 170. DE Antwan Applewhite, San Diego State
rd 6 - 178. P Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor
rd 6 - 192. DT Joe Cohen, Florida
I feel like I hit all of my major needs as well as getting 4 targets on my board.
1. LB Paul Posluszny should be a great LB prospect that can start out in the rotation and work his way in to the great Steelers LB corp.
2. C Ryan Kalil should be the only day one starter the Steelers needed (the top rated Center in the draft and the biggest Steeler need acquired by trading back and still getting puz).
3. CB Fred Bennett should make a great nickle or dime back and keep Taylor, Townsend, and McFadden focused.
4. RB Tony Hunt should be a short yardage between the tackles back that provides relief for Parker and Davenport
5. S Michael Johnson should be a value pick that should provide secondary depth and special teams
156. OT Mike Otto should provide OLine depth for a great set of lineman that are starting to get older.
170. DE Antwan Applewhite should be a tweener boom or bust prospect that offers options as a 4-3 rush end if the Steelers make the transition in 2008. At the very least he has a shot at making the team on special teams.
178. P Daniel Sepulveda should provide competition at the punting position with a big booming leg provided he can get his kicks off quick enough.
192. DT Joe Cohen should provide DLine depth and be an option as a 4-3 rotation DLineman if they make the transition in 2008.
- Best of luck tommorrow to all you Steelers fans...and feel free to save some players for the Saints. ;)