View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #126
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Randy Moss To The Patriots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
what i find conspicuously odd is the lemming like approach of those 95% of patfans. last year they wouldve been vehemently opposed to such a move. yet as soon as the deal has been struck it turns into another brilliant stroke of genius by pioli and belichick. what is odd is that his services are actually needed less this year than it was last with the upgrades to the passing game with stallworth.
I post on a Patriots board that im pretty sure is the most popular in the country - its often quoted in the local boston media when a 'voice of the fans' is required.

There are some fans who were opposed to Moss becoming a Patriot and remain so, others have softened their stance somewhat.

There were fans who were sceptical that it would ever happen (myself included), and now that Belichick and Pioli have given it their blessing I am 100% on board.

I would have been opposed to him being awarded a large contract on the hope he could make a previously weak WR corps stronger - Moss would then be the boss in that situation.

The fact is the Patriots F.O. does a better job at talent acquisition in the NFL (draft or FA) than anyone else - their recent record speaks for itself - these guys know what they are doing.

If the same deal were on the table last year - 4th rounder and a 1 year $3.5million contract - I am positive the Patriots would have pulled the trigger - I just dont think it was.

Either the Raiders were talking too much draft pick compensation (they reportedly wanted a 2nd rounder from Green Bay on a week or two ago) or Randy wasn't quite so desperate to move.

Quote:
and on the flipside is the steelerfans who act like its a sin for even mentionning bringing moss in. even colbert admitted it was never even a consideration. like i said before, the patriots dont sweat it much if their players smoke pot or were busted on roids in the past (im all for 2nd chances). steelerfans seem like they would rather lose and be "classy".
The Steelers do pride themselves on being the 'class of the NFL' - its probably a deserved title but when it becomes a millstone round the neck of a franchise trying to remain competitive you have have to question the wisdom behind applying it so strictly.

The fact is decent guys find themselves in bad situations, with a bad crowd - having interviewed these guys and seen their potential - not just as players but as teammates it seems crazy to damn them forever for a past transgression.

We all make mistakes.

Steeler fans who say (and i've seen this recently) they would rather 'lose classy' than give a guy like Moss or Dillon a 2nd chance are deluding themselves - ask the same question when the Ravens are sacking the Pittsburgh franchise QB for the 7th time in a single game and you'll get a different answer.

I can tell you aren't one of these fans - you probably think outside the box better than others (trades for Ward and Faneca etc etc) - you never be proven right or wrong though because the Steelers F.O think in very straight lines.

Quote:
what gets me is this false image the media portrays of the patriots always targetting "character" and "team" guys. its really a false misrepresentation. the patriots are like the bengals in many regards. they will take the players they feel has the best shot of leading them to wins, regardless. the only difference is the pats always gamble "smart" and their risks have generally paid off. they also have the leadership from the top that allows that.
Agreed. The false media image is very annoying - what New England excels at is having guys who love playing football - who have high character in terms of being good citizens and giving 100% on the field.

What they aren't is a bunch of working class heroes made good, and they certainly aren't angels of any description.

Typically, a writer for Boston media recently wrote about the Patriots abandoning their 'sanctamonious values' to recruit players of dubious character.

This is idiotic because you can't label a teams values 'sanctamonius' and then criticise them for abandoning them in the next breath - and as you said, it wasn't the Patriots who asked for this tedious label.

Strictly media invention.

The Bengals pick dumb because they dont understand the relationship beween a locker room full of dubious easily led characters and a team that is likely to run out of control.

They also don't understand that you must have a base of solid veteran citizens that can positively influence the younger impressionable guys.

Otherwise its just the blind leading the blind....to jail.

Quote:
i think moss has a chance to revive his career with the pats, which is why i started this thread in the 1st place. if he were going to the bengals i would simply laugh and expext the same downward production he found with the raiders.

and while i was off on what the pats shoulda traded for him last season, i really wasnt too far off. the pats traded the 1st from seattle to sf, traded their 2nd to miami, and dont have cassell in their plans anytime soon. all were pretty much disposable pieces. the pats did well by holding off, although i believe they probably woulda had homefield advantage and another sb berth with moss last year.
You are right about the Bengals being a bad choice for Moss, I think Green Bay would have been a poor choice too - simply because they have little chance of giving Moss what he wants - a ring.

Moss to the Steelers should have been viable - plenty of solid citizens and a good chance of reaching the playoffs this years gets a whole lot likelier.

Like I said before, if the 4th rounder (or even some of the things you mentioned) would have got Moss for a year at the maximum cost of $5million they would have pulled the trigger.

I can only imagine that the situation wans't so buyer friendly last year.

HFA?

Probably.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote