Old 05-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: League considering expanding the schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
From a TV contract standpoint (and that is the straw that stirs the revenue drink), the regular season games do not start until after Labor Day due to ratings. I doubt the starting date for the regular season would move up.

If the regular season expands to 17 games, I guess they could dump the bye week or just extend the season to the point the Super Bowl is played President's Day weekend.

Sounds like a way to increase TV revenue rather than anything to do with expanding the game overseas (a losing proposition as American influence wanes worldwide and basketball appears to be the "American" sport that most readily will have a worldwide appeal).

Anything that cuts down the number of preseason games works for me.
With ratings now starting to change, moving the season back 2 weeks won't hurt their ratings what so ever. It's definitely not a driving force in the task (although it is one to consider).

I remember growing up and I would look forward to Labor Day Weekend - that was the start of the NFL season. There were a lot of traditions in the NFL when I grew up. Too bad they don't look forward to holding on to those traditions.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote