View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #19
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836
Default Re: Pro Athletes Above The Law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
How many of you have been friends with really high level athletes? In high school, I ran with some of the better athletes in our school. The type of kids who had colleges calling every day and had coaches in the stands for all their games. So I can say that this kind of behavior from them doesn't really surprise me. As a matter of fact, I've more than come to accept it as the way things are. An athlete is cheating on his wife? So what. I knew an offensive lineman who was nailing someone else's girlfriend the entire summer before our senior year. An athlete gets out of a DUI? So what. I knew a guy who got busted for underage DUI and it was swept under the rug.

These men (and some women) don't occupy the same space most people do. Their lives are different, they're privileged. Don't hate them for what they have and what they can get away with. Hate yourselves for allowing it to come to this. Every time you buy a hat with the NFL logo on it, you're saying it's ok that the league has thugs and scumbags. Everytime you watch a game, you say it's ok for Pacman Jones to be in a strip club at 3 AM. Everytime you go see a game in person, you're saying it's ok for Mike Vick to have dog fights at his house.

We're as much to blame in all of this as the NFL and the players. But in today's world of it always being someone else's fault, we'll never acknowldege that fact.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you. I allowed none of what you said. I, and most other fans are outraged that these people are allowed to get away with what they do. How is that allowing this kind of behavior?

Just because I cheer for a certain team, doesn't make me responsible for a player on that team's actions... regardless of weather or not I have a hat with the team logo. You can spin it however you wish, but, at the end of the day, EVERYONE is responsible for their own actions. Any other way you wish to look at it is just a cop out.

The bottom line, unfortunately, is... money talks... the rest of us pay.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote