View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: Will Roethlisberger be cashing in early?

Based on Ben giving an interview this afternoon, I retract my previous comments about Ben being a diva for blowing off yesterday's interview request.

As for whether Ben still has an attitude, this interview, which is posted here in full, has some comments where Ben certainly does not lack for self-esteem.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger knows his next contract is not far off, but that he might have to wait until next year to get it.

"I have enough to think about right now," Roethlisberger said today. "Job security is always important but there's a lot going on right now with other guys and so I'm not going to sit here and gripe and complain. I'm just going to let things happen that happen."

Typically, the Steelers wait until their quarterback has two years remaining on an existing contract before they are willing to sign him to an extension. Roethlisberger's six-year deal he signed as a rookie runs through the 2009 season.

Roethlisberger admits there was some resentment toward him in the Steelers locker room early in his career because of the big money he made as a No. 1 draft choice, but he sees a change.

"I think there was at first, but I think guys have learned that it's OK, we've grown into that," he said

"As in everything, I always want to get better and I'll want to get better at being a leader -- not taking over, just being a presence in there for guys. I want guys to know that if they're in any kind of problem, if they need to come talk to someone, if they need a place to stay, a car, anything I can help them with, I will be more than happy and willing to do that. I just want them to always know that and I think guys are starting to understand that more, especially the younger guys as they come up."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07144/788797-66.stm

My understanding was the vets' resentment of Ben was because of his demeanor, not because of his contract, but I guess Ben sees it differently.

Sounds like Ben recognizes the old guard still has little regard for him. Anyone think Faneca is coming to Ben for advice?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote