View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: Baseball: Oliver (Perez) Getting Brave Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
You think maybe the extra $100 million+ a year the Mets spend on payroll might have anything to do with it??
I see your point...but my answer to your question would be not necessarily. Every year there are small market teams who are at least competitive, for example Milwaukee this year.

And nobody spends more on a year to year basis than the Yankees...where are they today? Four games under .500.

For most of the last 14 seasons (soon to be 15, I think), the Pirates have pretty much been the farm system for the rest of the majors. Reminds me of what Adam LaRoche had to say in the preseason Post-Gazette article:

Quote:
He heard fans at PirateFest speaking wistfully of winning 82 games, one above .500.

He phoned his wife.

"Adam's telling me, 'You wouldn't believe this. All they want to do is not lose,' " she recalled.

LaRoche offers no apologies.

"My first reaction was ... I didn't even know what people were talking about. What's the number 82 mean? Were they serious?" he said. "I mean, look, I haven't been here. I don't know how hard it's been for the people up there, or for the players. At the same time, I don't feel bad saying this: If that's anyone's goal in Pittsburgh, it just shouldn't be."
Later in the article, he said he doesn't see "a losing attitude" in the players, coaches, ownership, or front office. Wonder if he feels that way today?

I would argue that the market size doesn't matter as much as does the absolute refusal to accept a decade and a half of being so far away from being comptetitive that the national media doesn't even consider the team worth mentioning. Until the day comes that losing is unacceptable, and everyone from the ownership to the batboy/girl believes it, this team will stay in or near the basement.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote