View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Ohio State's problems...

PSU has a fine defense, and you may, in fact, have the best linebacker in the Big 10, which, by default means best in the Country since the Big 10 is stacked at LB. I still like AJ Hawke though...

As for the rest, Holmes was open, he just wasn't thrown to, and that's Smith's fault...he's uncomfortable in the pocket, and that has less to do with the defense than it has to do with the fact that he's just not in a groove, and he's not seeing the field, since the guy likes to run around back there anyway...

Look, I didn't want it to come to this, but the fact remains, OSU is struggling offensively, and they have all season. PSU played a nice game defensively, but OSU shot itself in the foot numerous times. If PSU was so dominant, don't you think the players and coaches of OSU would have commented on it? Instead, we hear:

Rob Sims, senior offensive tackle
On the offensive line in the Penn State game
"Switching up guys was part of the problem. We did that on the fly, which made it difficult. We had people playing in different positions. As a result of that, there were some holes."

Nick Mangold, senior center
On the assessment of last weeks game
"We didn't make the best of our opportunities. We made crucial turnovers and mistakes at the wrong time. We can't set up our defense against a good offense the way we did last week."

Jim Tressel, Coach
"And, of course, you always have to finish your formula with the fact that you need to be mistake free on offense and, again, throwing an interception that allows them to go all the way to the one and a half yard line, you know, can -- can be deadly for you and -- and we ended up with two turnovers, which we were not mistake free, we were not mistake free all the time on protection, all the time on decision making, all the time, I'm sure, on play calling, all the time on any of the things we felt like we needed to do, you know, from an offensive football team and the other thing is you have to be opportunistic and take advantage of every good field position. The first good field position we got and we did take advantage, I think we got it on our own 40 or thereabouts, our own 38, and went down and got three points. And the next scoring drive in the second quarter was a longer drive, but we had some opportunities in between our own 30 and own 40, you know, only starting 60 plus yards away and did not take advantage of those opportunities to move into scoring range and, you know, therefore, we come up on the short end of the 17-10 football game.

You know, I think offensive football, especially when you're playing against good defensive teams, you know, inevitably, that ability to have 11 guys getting things done, you know, perfectly is more difficult. Going into the game against Penn State, did I foresee that we would score 42 points or going into the season, you know -- the expectations of whatever you brought up were, I don't remember espousing those that against Penn State we'll probably be able to score 42 points, that kind of thing. The thing that we talk a lot about on all of our units is doing what we can do to help the team win. And I'm not sure that, you know, we were going to score 42 points. Am I disappointed we scored 10? Absolutely. You know, I really felt like we could score 21, 24 points and I really thought that our defense would do a great job of holding them to what their goal is. You know, our goal is to score 24 points or more. And whenever we talk about goals, we talk about against the best competition. You know, not -- you know, piling all the statistics from, you know, 20 years together or whatever, but against the best competition, you know, we've found that if we can score 24 points and our defense can reach their goal is let 14 points or less, we have a good chance to win. And ultimately, that's our goal. Our goal isn't to be, I guess, knighted as a prolific -- or I don't know what the superlatives that you're using, you have to talk so much more now that you've been reading the dictionary, you know, but I don't know that we've ever sought that, we just want to do our part to help the team win."

This is all stuff I have said numerous times...it's just Tressel-Ball. The bottom line is OSU has a problem scoring points, and they need to fix it. Notice I didn't post this in the PSU thread? There's a reason for that...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote