View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Scrubs & Duds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
you do understand that duce staley was cut, and that "base salary" only counts as a "cap hit" if you actually employ that player, right? i think youre confusing a players cap value with their cap hit. either that or you still think staley is on the roster.

since he was fired his base salary of $4,690,000 (for the 2 remaining) is out the door with him and all that remains is the $2,342,500 pro rated portion of his signing bonus, which is paid off in lump sum rather than being pro rated (as per league rules).

id say its still a pretty solid source if you understand what youre reading.
Aha.

Ok I knew he was cut, but didn't tally that up with the number for the 2008 cap hit straight away.

Like I say, that was kind of an after thought (the remaining years) - the main point was a demonstration in the differing values between two Steelers RB's over the last 3 years.

The Steelers normally do pretty well with FA acquisitions - is it fair to say this was a relatively rare trip into the high end of the market that backfired spectacularly?

The other issue of course, is the amazingly good value Willie Parker has been for the last few years - he must be the best $/yard RB in the NFL at this point.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote