Old 06-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,657 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' offensive line could get face-lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Its definitely interesting (in a strictly non-doom and gloom way) that there is going to be so much potential disruption on a previous Steeler strength this year.

3 positions out of 5 open before camp?

Maybe thats more to do with a new coach than anything else (and also the retirement of a pro-bowl centre) and the fact he wants as many people as possible showing him what they can do now instead of relying on past performance.

Next year, of course the LG position will be up for grabs and probably explains why the Steelrs were pro-active in getting LT Aaron Smith signed up to a long contract.

You have to feel that there are going to be communication issues to be sorted out with a new group of linemen who are also going to be running a new playbook and a QB who is taking more playcalling duties.

Here is a question maybe someone can answer for me.

This year the Patriots are strongly rumored to be moving to a zone blocking scheme to cater for a faster running back in Laurence Maroney (compared to Dillon was was more between the tackles).

What scheme did the Steelers typically run with Bettis at running back and were there any alterations made last year when Willie Parker become full time starter?

Thanks
actually marvell smith is our LT and 08 season is his last year in his contract. he currently has the largest cap charge on the team and the steelers need to decide if they are gonna extend him after this season. its possible (although i think unlikely) that the entire 5 is re-tooled.

aaron smith is the de we just extended.

i dont think the steelers ever used a zone scheme under cowher. backs like zeroue and parker were expected to fit in to "jeromes" scheme. our guards and centers have always been great at pulling and blocking. of course bettis took a few steps to get up to a linemans pace so he had the "patience". its a little different for willie. like thay say "you cant teach speed". its pretty difficult to teach slow, too.