Old 06-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #20
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: Who was better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Though in honesty, all three are absolute top. I can only think of one or two others (in thier own respective genres) that could be put with these...

Glen Miller band (Big band\swing)
Metallica (First fusion of rockmetal\punk)
With the understanding that it's all preference anyhow, and de gustibus non disputandum est,

You have Basie, Ellington, Goodman, Shaw, the Dorseys, and you picked Glenn Miller? There's no denying the appeal of "Pennsylvania 6-5000" and "String of Pearls", but there's no denying the appeal of "Daydream Believer" either. That was Glenn Miller's place during his era, not as an innovator but as an adaptor and popularizer. Just like there is no denying the lasting appeal of the Monkees' brand of pop, there's no denying the appeal of Glenn Miller's; but his legacy was built on the riffs of Basie, Ellington, Goodman, et al. If you had to make the Elvis/Beatles comparison from that era, you would have to say it was Benny Goodman taking the Elvis role as bringing black music to the white audience (and forming the first interracial combo, the Benny Goodman Quartet with Lionel Hampton) and Duke Ellington as the man who took the genre and transformed it with his genius. For every Glenn Miller number you can name that has entered the corpus, I can name you three Duke Ellington compositions that you would say, "Oh, I didn't know that was his."

Satin Doll
Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Caravan
Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me
It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
Mood Indigo
Ring Dem Bells
Rockin' In Rhythm
Sophisticated Lady
Take The "A" Train
I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
Things Ain't What They Used To Be

If you don't recognize the titles, I guarantee you that if you heard the melody you would be able to hum along with it; you know these tunes. I can understand PREFERRING Glenn Miller to the others; Miller's band was smooth as a milkshake and tight as all heck. But in no way was he like the Elvis or Beatles of the swing era.

Giving Metallica all due respect as the better band and bigger success, I'd say the FIRST fusion of punk & metal was Mot?rhead. From allmusic: "Mot?rhead wasn't punk rock -- they formed before the Sex Pistols and they loved the hell-for-leather imagery of bikers too much to conform with the safety-pinned, ripped T-shirts of punk -- but they were the first metal band to harness that energy and, in the process, they created speed metal and thrash metal." It was never a genre I could get into, I got old a little before Metallica got popular. But I did want to give Mot?rhead their due!

Tom,
who enjoys a musical argument as much as any other!
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote