View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pittsburgh: A Modest, Quiet City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Want job security in Pittsburgh? Become a lawyer - there are over 6,500 of those vampire bats in Allegheny County alone.

Pittsburgh is a great place to raise a family and the majority of the 40+ crowd who live here have lived here since birth. I think every major city is having problems with work shortages, but people find a way to make ends meet. At least we don't have a depression to deal with like my parents did - at least not yet.
Well, I can't say I'm surprised there are that many lawyers in the county, given that you can't spit and not hit one of their offices lol...

Pittsburgh and the region in general is a great place to live, but I really wish they would do more to market itself to the rest of the country and show them that it is a truly great place to live, work and raise a family. Many people I've encountered over the years still the city as a smoky, dirty steel town, and their opinion often changes when they see it for themselves and all that we have to offer. We didn't become the most livable city by accident, after all. I think if the city/county officials put some money and effort into promoting Pittsburgh and break the stereotypes, they would be able to attract more young people to move here and start to curb the worker shortage that Mistah_Q mentioned.