View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: NFL Super Bowl Champion: Third Year Theory

Well, the Colts have been living 'year 2' for the last 5/6 years up until last year.

The Patriots were a mediocre 8-8 in 1999, went backwards to 5-11 in 2000 and then won the SB in 2001 - so I don't see a correlation there.

Tampa Bay went from 10-6 (2000) backwards to 9-7 (2001) and then leapt to 12-4 and won the SB (2002) - so its not strictly true here either (the backward 2nd year).

I left off the Patriots 2nd and 3rd wins as the fact they actually won SB's in the previous 3 year stretch negates the theory.

The Ravens went from 6-10 (1998) to 8-8 (1999) to 12-4 and a SB win (2000) - but there was no playoff appearance in year 2.

St Louis Rams went from 5-11 (1997) backwards to 4-12 (1998) then amazing step forward to 13-3 and a SB win (1999) .

To be quite honest, I can't see a correlation between the article and the facts and the Colts comparison seems to be a poor one - mainly because they have suffered very few regular season blips compared to the Steelers who were up and down in the years previous to their SB win.

Work fine as a theory if you apply it to....well....to just the Steelers really.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote