View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #19
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Another Bengal Busted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
I don't know about all of that...you can blame the coach/owners for picking up players with questionable character and maybe for keeping them too long...but Marvin Lewis can't babysit all of these guys so they won't get in trouble.

I'm sure Marvin Lewis and the ownership are just as embarassed as anyone by this point...but what can you really do? I mean, you can tell by this year's draft that they decided to stop taking risks on players with red flags, but when players like Quincy Wilson who had no red flags (other than goint to WVU) start getting arrested, what are you supposed to do?

I don't really know how much freedom the organization has to cut these players based on their bad behavior, especially with the NFLPA and the fact that many of these guys aren't actually being convicted...but I expect that Quincy and most of the other troublemakers will be cut at the very least by training camp. I think Odell and Henry were the last guys to receive second chances.

It might take a while to weed out all of the bad seeds. It's something that has grown in the organization over the past couple of years. And now that the organization (and the league) has finally noticed, it's gonna take a little while to revert.
The problem is that the soil you are attempting to sow these young players in is tainted.

If those very same players were in an environment where mentoring was of a higher importance then I would be willing to bet that alot of them woudn't be getting into trouble with police.

Its not a random act of chance that players with no 'previous' are getting to trouble - the poisonous environment that the Bengals management has created is going to ensure they are stuck with this legacy for along time to come.

The only guy who appears to show any sort of leadership is Carson, his right hand man has all the gravitas of a circus clown - the only thing that will get the Bengals out of this mess is a far reaching cull of all the bad influences on the team.

I won't hold my breath for Marvin 'talent trumps all' Lewis to get get serious about that any time soon.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote