View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
youve probably taken one and just not realized it. its usually standard testing to gradeschool kids, but it varies state to state. youre from kentucky... remember when they gave you that copper tubing, a washbasin and some mash in the 3rd grade to see what you could do with it?
lol I think some of my classmates needed that exam. But, yeah I took standardized tests each year from 1st grade to senior year...of course they never really got much harder than a 6th-7th grade level to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lol just messin. but really i think they look at the kids who do exceptionally well in the standard yearly testing, and then select them for further testing to put them in advanced placement/gifted/mensa type classes.
I took around 6 AP classes in high school and they are the biggest rip-off ever. They're college-level courses, but if you pass them you don't automatically get college credit. You get to take the equivalent of a college final exam (probably harder) and have to basically ace it in order for your college to even consider the credit. The only advantage of them is you get a higher weighted GPA but no colleges look at weighted GPA, they only look at your unweighted GPA (which an AP class could potentially bring down even while increasing your weighted GPA). If I had to do it all over again, I would've enrolled in more actual college courses so I could receive credit based on the actual class and not just one test.

Anyway, now that I'm done with that rant...early in my middle school career, they put me in honors or advanced courses because of high grades in previous courses. In high school, however, honors and AP classes could be taken by anyone, assuming they had the necessary requisites. The only thing I ever got from scoring highly on standardized tests was membership in the Duke University Talent Identification Program, which made me take the ACT in 7th grade (which was a blast ).
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote