View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Colt Brennan: Real Deal or Bust

i know ive brought this up before but i wrote this like a week ago and ive got some good reviews on it. if yall like it i have my own website- www.freewebs.com/ajmurfy. its under my blog i try to post something each week. its dedicated completely to sports

This week I will be getting into the topic where I will be spending most of my time talking about. Colt Brennan hit the college world rather quietly, after running into legal problems at Colorado and playing a year playing JC, Colt earned the starting job at Hawaii after walking on. In his first season he lead the nation in touchdown passes, beating names like Matt Leinart, Vince Young, and Jay Cutler (all first round pick later that year). Brennan showed glimpses of non-system talents. Brennan has accuracy that isn't matched by any other quarterback in college. He shows great mobility and decision making. Despite all of this, Brennan name was a mystery to most people not in Hawaii. His Junior year was one for the ages. Brennan set, among many, the record for most TD passes in a season (and two year span), passer efficiency and completed 73% of his passes (June Jones says if it wasn't for drops it would be close to 80%). Now if you compare that to the most prolific passer in college football history, Timmy Chang. Chang never threw for more than fifty touchdowns in a season. He also never completed more than 60% of his passes in aseason. Chang also has the record for most interceptions in a career. The part when people label him as a "system QB" that is so annoying is that they don't understand what a system QB is. A system quarterback are quarterbacks that stats are higher than their potential or ability project due to the system of offense their run.

Examples- Joey Harrington (Tedford), Kyle Boller (Tedford), Timmy Chang (Run-N-Shoot)

There are three stat categories that I look at from quarterbacks that can't be directly translated from an offensive scheme.

1. Quarterback Rating- Brennan Broke NCAA record (186.0)

2. Interceptions- In his two year career Brennan has thrown only 25 interceptions, while throwing the ball 1,074 passes and 93 TD passes

3. Completion %-Brennan shows the ability to throw the ball exactly where only the receiver can catch it. 73% of his passes he completed last year