View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: SN- Ranking the Tight Ends

You can argue all you like about who you think is the best TE in the draft, but the fact is - he was still the 3rd guy picked and he lasted until the 3rd round.

That makes it a very weak draft class for TE's in my book.

Until Spaeth shows something on the field he is a non-factor.

I realise that blocking is a key part of being a TE ( we used to have Daniel Graham - possibly the best blocking TE in the game) but the fact remains that its an intangible statistic.

A few guys have standout years and get a rep for good blocking, but its a very subjective thing - people tend to favor a TE they get to see the most footage of - how can you compare him to TE's who you don;t watch on a regular basis?

Do you know how good a blocker Ben Watson is?

Your 'potental upside' theory is shaky at best and hardly quantifiable.

You dont even know enough about how the TE's are going to be used in Pittsburgh this year to be able to comment on their degree of upside.

I dont see how the Patriots are 'where they should be' - Watson caught for more yardage than Miller and your No.2 guy is a rookie (Im not too concerned with how many yards they caught for at Minnesota) is totally unproven.

So Spaeth shattered the records of a guy who didn't even get drafted? Sorry thats not really a big deal is it?

How is Spaeth a better blocker then Utecht?

The Colts have probably the best O-line at pass protection in the league - yet you rate a rookie above their No.2 guy?

As for your comments regarding David Thomas, i'll credit that a lack of time spent watching David Thomas's limited time in the team (i'll remind you that he was behind Daniel Graham and Ben Watson who are both better TE's than anything the Steelers have on their roster).

Still, as always, you are welcome to your opinion - though it appears to be based upon a basically unknowable coaching philosophy regarding TE's (Tomlin) and a 3rd round rookie.

Where would I rank the Steelers?

Behind - San Diego, New England, Baltimore, KC, Denver, Indy, St Louis, NYG, Dallas, and Atlanta.

So around 10 or 11, maybe.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote