Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: Vick indicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Am I correct in assuming that this case would be heard by a regular jury of citizens?

If that is the case, I see heartstrings really getting tugged in the prosecutions favor. Dogs that were not only forced to fight each other, but shot, hanged, electrocuted, beaten to death by, supposedly, Vick and co.?

I read most of the indictment, but it was becoming repetitive. By the sounds of it they have people ready to testify since they have already disclosed so many dates and info about six years of fights.

I can't see Vick NOT getting suspended...
As someone in a Falcons forum put it.
If a CEO is accused of embezzlement
A teacher accused of molestation

Would they not get a little "vacation" to figure things out? I would think/hope so.

So why not a Pro Athlete who is accused of organizing and participating in an illegal gambling ring?
T.H. and I had this discussion the other day in the context of whether a player should get suspended for a first DWI. Under the "substance abuse policy" no, but does the "code of conduct" trump that? In your analogies, the CEO has no CBA and the teacher very well may go on leave without pay once an indictment is returned pursuant to the terms of the CBA if a teacher's union is in the picture . With no union or contract you are an employee at will and, absent discrimination in violation of federal law, the employer can terminate you for any reason at all. It all depends on the terms of the CBA or other employment contract.

My bet is Vick's lawyers come out swinging and we will hear lots of references to the Duke lacrosse prosecution by his supporters in the coming days. I also look for boycotts of companies Vick endorses and, for that matter, the Falcons. This is going to get ugly.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote