Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,403 Posts
Default Re: Vick indicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i did notice in the poll you posted that the verdict about vick was split 45%-45% whether he should be canned amongst whites. thats not nearly as skewed on the viewpoints of oj's guilt/innocence. do you see that as a sign of progress or a bunch of die hard sportfans who know vick is there best chance of having a successful season this year?
The 50/50 split was for the entire sample. Among whites, 54.4 percent polled thought he should be released, 36.7 percent that he should stay until there was a verdict, and 8.9 percent had no opinion. Among black respondents, only 26.6 percent thought he should be released, 65.6 percent said wait until the verdict, and 7.8 percent had no opinion. That racial disparity is statistically significant.

I assume the 36% of whites who say let him play are split between those who sincerely believe nothing should be done until conviction (lots of "remember the Duke lacrosse case" comments) and those who would cheer for a serial killer at QB if it increased the chances to make the playoffs.

With regard to the 66% of black respondnets who say let him play, on Atlanta sports talk on the drive home tonight I heard one caller who said dog fighting is no different than white players hunting & fishing (although dog fighting has a bi-racial "fan base" in the South), so there is clearly a % that regards this as simply more harassment by The Man.

I look for brawls in the stands at Falcon games between those who cheer and heckle Vick if he is not suspended (with pay or otherwise). It is definitely ugly.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote