Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,638 Times in 2,879 Posts
Default Re: Tough, full-pads first practice gets team's attention in a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Mike Tomlin's first practice as the Steelers' head coach proved more than its billing when he put the team through what many believe was the most physical practice session at Saint Vincent College since the days of Chuck Noll.

No one could remember a tougher camp practice in Bill Cowher's 15 years as coach, not even a player who was with Cowher from the get-go.

"That was pretty tough, pret-ty tough," said former linebacker Levon Kirkland, a Steelers rookie in 1992 who is spending this week as a scouting intern with the team. "I'm sure the guys who have been here under Cowher are used to a certain way. You do it that way it's kind of tough. Makes you wonder what the evening practice will be about."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07206/804174-66.stm

Wow
i really liked bens and okolbis comments on it. they seemed to like it and feel it was needed. hines ward admitted it was tough and expressed thoughts that the coach would let up when he felt it was time to let up.

someone (im not sure if it was okolbi) mentionned that it was the 1st time he ever heard the word "competition" in camp. the point was, that under the old regime there really was no competition and people pretty much knew whether they would be a starter or not before camp began.

i 2nd the sentiment of "wow".

i never thought i would feel the switch of coaches could ever possibly be a good thing. it just might.