View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 AM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Winning the war....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
FWIW I regard the Pollock-O'Hanlon op-ed that victory is just around the corner in Iraq as the equivalent of predicting the Browns or Lions will win the Super Bowl.

If they are right they will be regarded as incredibly prescient; if they are wrong nobody will remember.

The American Civil War lasted 4 years; American involvement in World War II lasted 3 years and 9 months. Given the lapse of time since the "mission" was "accomplished" in 2003, the U.S. is leaving Iraq; the same people who got us in will spend the next 20 years claiming that they were "stabbed in the back" as we were on the doorstep of total victory and will cite articles such as this op-ed piece as "evidence" of that "fact."
Wishing we should stay will not make it so.
I have to disagree... WWII lasted 3 years and 9 months... but we are STILL in Germany. The rebuild lasted for YEARS. furthermore there were attacks on American troops, etc.

We are still at war in N. Korea. There is NO peace, only a cease-fire that has lasted. it just takes one mistake...and that entire thing will STILL erupt in war. When you look at the number of troops we have lost compared to the amount of time we have been Iraq, we have come through strong. Yes, I mourn every single loss. But historically, I am not worried about the time spent there. I am more worried about the time NOT spent finishing the task.

Last edited by Preacher; 07-31-2007 at 03:45 AM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote