SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: 2007 Season Editions of Pirates Notebook

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07222/808458-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Morris wary of Giants' ire

Friday, August 10, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- Matt Morris allows to feeling some apprehension about his return to San Francisco, where he will pitch against the Giants tonight, just 10 days after being traded to the Pirates.

"I've got mixed feelings, you know?" he said at Chase Field. "This whole week has been a lot of new stuff. Now, to go back there and face the old teammates ... it'll be a lot mentally."

More than one might think.

Morris has been made aware of some Giants being unhappy with comments he made to the Pittsburgh media the day of the trade, in which he said he was looking forward to "getting some better defense" with the Pirates and playing with "some young guys who are looking to play hard."

He said he felt the matter was being exaggerated.

"There's been some controversy with me, apparently, and I never wanted that to happen," Morris said. "I don't even know what was said, and I think they really blew it up into something that it's not. Now, I've got guys over there mad at me."

Asked what he meant when he compared the Pirates to the Giants, he replied, "It was a hard situation for me to comment on Pittsburgh, a team I didn't really know anything about except seeing them. I just got caught in limbo there. I didn't mean to stir anything up. But, obviously, it's going to come back and ... we'll see who reads the paper over there."

Nady to DL?

Outfielder Xavier Nady missed a seventh start and will miss another tonight, and he could be bound for the 15-day disabled list after a discouraging set of running tests yesterday showed no improvement in his strained left hamstring.

Manager Jim Tracy would not rule out the disabled list, noting that Nady had not appeared in a game since a pinch-hit appearance Saturday. That means his placement on the 15-day disabled list could be backdated until then and he would miss only an additional week.

"It's just not any better," Tracy said of the hamstring. "It's still not up to even 90 percent."

Nady's running tests involved various types of movements to simulate baseball situations. He completed all of them, but he never appeared able to take it full tilt.

The Pirates now are playing with a three-man bench, essentially, so a roster move could be imminent. First baseman-outfielder Brad Eldred, the only healthy minor-league position player on the 40-man roster, hit two home runs for Class AAA Indianapolis Wednesday.

Bautista back in outfield

Jose Bautista, the Pirates' third baseman most of the season, was in the outfield for the second time in three starts, this time in center. But Tracy cautioned against reading anything into that, saying he simply wanted to stack a right-handed lineup against Arizona left-hander Doug Davis.

"The last thing I want to do is feel like I'm bouncing Jose all over the place," Tracy said. "This is an isolated case."

Buried treasure

The Pirates signed their 35th-round draft pick, pitcher Tom Boleska. They have 27 of their 50 picks under contract and until Wednesday to sign anyone else.

Five State College players were named to the Class A New York-Penn League All-Star Game, to be played Tuesday. That includes left-handed starter Anthony Watson, 6-1 with a 2.77 ERA. The rest are first baseman Justin Byler, outfielders Austin McClune and Keanon Simon and catcher Nick Stillwagon.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote