View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 01:32 AM   #175
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Offical 2006-2007 National Hockey League Thread.

U.S Hall of Fame to induct Vanbiesbrouck, Broten, Carpenter, MacInnes
Associated Press
Updated: August 15, 2007, 4:27 PM ET

DENVER -- NHL standouts Aaron Broten, Bobby Carpenter and John Vanbiesbrouck and former Michigan Tech coach John MacInnes will be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in October.

USA Hockey announced this year's inductees on Wednesday. The induction ceremony will be Oct. 12 in Grand Forks, N.D.

Broten spent 12 years in the NHL after playing two years at Minnesota, where he still holds the single-season points record (106 in 1980-81). Broten competed at five world championships, two Canada Cups and one world junior championship.

His brother, Neal, is already in the hall.

Carpenter was the first player to jump from high school to the NHL and in 1984-85 became the first American-born NHL player to score 50 goals in a season. He spent 19 seasons in the league.

He played in two Stanley Cup finals and was a member of the New Jersey Devils when they won the Cup in 1995. He was an assistant coach with the Devils when they won the Cup in 2000 and 2003.

Vanbiesbrouck, the all-time winningest American-born goalkeeper, played 20 seasons in the NHL. He is also the longest-tenured American goalie in league history.

He won the Vezina Trophy in 1986 and was runner-up eight years later. He played in three All-Star games and helped lead the Florida Panthers to a Stanley Cup run during the 1995-96 season, the Panthers' third year of existence.

"It's really a humbling time to get something and be acknowledged like this," Vanbiesbrouck said. "I think it's defined by grace, because grace is defined by getting something you don't deserve."

MacInnes, who died in 1983, led the Huskies to three national championships and was twice named NCAA coach of the year.

He played two seasons at Michigan and spent three years in the Detroit Red Wings system in the late 1940s. He directed an amateur hockey league in Ann Arbor, Mich., before coaching at Michigan Tech.

"I had given up that this would ever happen," said his widow, Jerry MacInnes. "Now that it has, my family and I are very pleased that this honor has been given to John."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2976185