SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: 2007 Season Editions of Pirates Notebook

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07238/812226-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Struggling Moskos taken out of game action
Sunday, August 26, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

HOUSTON -- The Pirates have taken reliever Danny Moskos, their first-round draft pick in June, out of game action in State College to address mechanical issues.

"It's not a big deal, and it's not a health issue at all," director of player development Brian Graham said. "He's rushing his delivery, and Wilson Alvarez wants to work on it with him, so he's just going to throw on the side for a few days."

Alvarez is the pitching coach at State College, the Pirates' short-season Class A affiliate.

Moskos has struggled in five relief appearances since being promoted to the Spikes from the rookie-level Gulf Coast League, posting a 5.68 ERA, with 11 hits and two walks in 61/3 innings. In his most recent outing Monday, he was replaced in mid-inning.

Torres back to disabled list

Reliever Salomon Torres was placed on the 15-day disabled list -- retroactive to Wednesday -- because of inflammation in the medial collateral ligament of his right elbow, the same injury that cost him a month in June and July.

He will see doctors tomorrow.

"I don't think it's as bad as before," Torres said.

To replace Torres, the Pirates promoted hard-throwing reliever Romulo Sanchez from Class AA Altoona for his first venture into Major League Baseball.

Sanchez, 23, had a 2.81 ERA in 40 appearances with the Curve, with 52 strikeouts and 17 walks.

Sanchez already was on the 40-man roster, but so were three other right-handed relievers at Class AAA Indianapolis -- Josh Sharpless, Jonah Bayliss and Brian Rogers -- all of whom were bypassed after performing poorly in Pittsburgh earlier this season.

Phelps trying outfield

Manager Jim Tracy, eager to get Josh Phelps' big bat into the lineup, has had him shagging flies in the outfield.

He considered using him there last night, as Jason Bay was being rested, but a talk between Tracy and Phelps revealed that "he once played a game in the outfield 11 years ago in Billings, Mont."

Still ...

"We want to get him involved, and we're working on it," Tracy said.

Phelps sounded cautiously excited about it after belting yet another home run last night.

"The one thing I understand is that I'm excelling in the role I'm in right now, and I can't lose sight of that," he said. "What I have to make sure is that, wherever they put me on the field, the pitcher on the mound has to have trust in me. That's only fair to the pitcher. I'll work very hard to do whatever they ask."

Buried treasure

Shane Youman's extended use Friday -- a 40-pitch side session and an unexpected two innings of relief -- cost him his start Tuesday in the doubleheader against the Cincinnati Reds. Instead, the Pirates will use Paul Maholm in the second game and bump up the rest of the rotation the next two days. The pitcher Friday night in Milwaukee is "to be announced," Tracy said.

Outfielder Xavier Nady ran yesterday and felt "a little better," Tracy said, and might start one of the games Tuesday.
Although the Pirates are touting Sanchez as a product of their Latin American scouting and development system, he originally was signed out of Venezuela by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2002 and spent two years at that team's Venezuelan academy before being released. The Pirates signed him later that year. The Pirates' most recent Latin American amateur signing to reach their major-league roster was Jose Castillo, signed in 1997.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote