Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,377 Posts
Default Re: ESPN Predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well, that sounds kinda deep.

Not sure if it is though.

Let me think on it.
I will elaborate with a reference to another veteran NFL team that was a media darling in an earlier era.

Coming off 4 SB wins in 6 years in 1980 the Steelers were regarded as being as talented as ever going into the 1980 season. Of course, that team went 8-8 that year and started to break up shortly thereafter. During that season, I specifically recall a Monday night loss to the Raiders (who won the SB that season) in which the Steelers coughed up an early lead as Plunkett torched the secondary. At some point in the second half of that game I recall Cosell intoning that nothing lasts forever.

With regard to the Pats, the offense has upgraded but the loss last January to the Colts was not due to an inability to score, it was due to the collapse of an aging defense. Thomas has been added at LB but players such as Vrabel and Bruschci are well into their twilight years.

My point is that past performance is no guarantee of future results and the knee jerk SB pick of a Patriots team that has some definite age by so many pundits seems to ignore the problems on D that IMO have not been fixed. The Pats are good but I do not see them as so much better than the rest of the league that they are such an overwhelming favorite to win among the ESPN "experts." The 60s Packers, 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, and 90s Cowboys all fell off - Belichick is a great coach but he cannot stop the ineveitable cycle of decline.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote