tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,926 Times in 3,001 Posts
Default Re: To Challenge or not To challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I did happen to see that play.

First up, I think the ball did hit the ground - otherwise I can't see how the ball gained so much 'spring' from the inside of the arm.

As far as challenges go - im pretty sure you only challenge a certain element of the play.

So yes, I think Tomlin could have challenged the fact that the ball hit the ground, though I think it would have been close to impossible to say with any certainty that it didn't - which is what is required to over turn the call.

I happen to think the receiver was actually down - but that rule is open to interpretation it could go either way depending on the ref's mood.

As it happened a 50 yd FG is a (literal) long shot at Heinz - I thought Tomlin made the right call...or non-call.
i guarantee that there will be plenty said about this next week by those who are desperately trying to find a chink in tomlins coaching armor.

the call was f--- up from the beginning. a catch is a catch is a catch. the ball was caught, the ground cannot cause a fumble, and by all means it shouldve been ruled a reception (this is my biggest pet peve in football).

the steelers actually lucked out with a shitty ruling.

for all those who are gonna question tomlins coaching decision: why would he throw a flag and review a play that the refs had just reviewed? they looked at the play, they made their decision. is a second challenge really gonna change what they saw and ruled on?

good job by tomlin not throwing an irrational challenge flag. that is why he is coach and the fans are fans. if any media questions his decision, they are retarded.

fwiw, those are the plays tomlin thrives on to see how his team responds to adversity. the defense responded just like last week when tomlin was questionned for not throwing a flag on a long kick off return.

again, any inevitible article questionning tomlins lack of challenges should be immediately discredtited.

choose youre battles wisely and pick the ones you know you can win.