View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: Outstanding numbers

You know, each season you hear about teams compiling gazillions of passing yards and yards of total offense. Certain players, and we all know who they are, are fantasy stars week after week for their gaudy stats. The Steelers are seldom mentioned among such high-flying offensive fireworks....and yet they are virtually always in the hunt come playoff time.

Here we are at Week 3 of the season, the Steelers are widely considered to be one of the top 3 teams in the NFL, and some of those high-stats teams are notable for....nothing much, other than gaudy stats.

Even in the 70s, numbers were not the big thing with this team, which is one reason why I think Terry Bradshaw is so often overlooked as one of the best quarterbacks ever (everyone I can recall mentions Marino, Montana and Elway as the top three, with Bradshaw figuring somewhere in the "second tier").

Me personally, I'll take five Super Bowls (and another one somewhere on the horizon within the next few seasons) over dazzling passer yardage but crappy defense, ANY DAY!!!!!
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote