View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #37
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836
Default Re: Romo asking for $30M guaranteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
The NFL salary cap system keeps a level playing field but is not without its flaws. Seems rookies comand way to high slaraies & specially bonuses and when it comes to higly drafted QB's you better hope your scouts are right ,otherwise it can set the franchise back years - see Tim Couch etc. Puts a great amount of pressure on rookie QB to be good right out of the gate as well.
Also seems that proven players who have accomplised things in the game are the ones on the other end getting cut for cap reasons. I glad the Steelers are one of the few teams who have seemed to figure out the cap a little bit and seemed to know when to give out the paydays, but it was not without some mistakes like previous contarcts for Gildon and Kordell.
It also puts a great amount of pressure on the team that drafted him to put him on the field immediately. Definitely not a good thing when it comes to QB's. I'm glad Russell is sitting this year, but the pressure to get him on the field because of the money invested is tempting. I don't see Russell being able to live up to his salary for 2-3 years... but then again, you never know.

I never wanted him for just this reason. We could have traded down and still got Stanton or Edwards and some O line or D line help.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote