View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: No asterisk necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerstrength View Post
In my humble opinion, at this point in time, you cannot take the record away from Barry. Absolutely nothing has been proven and, as of this date, accusations are not proof. When and if they do prove anything, my opinion will change.

And, as a World Champion Natural athlete, that means polygraph & urinalysis for all performance enhancing drugs including caffiene, steroids, growth etc., I have to disagree that "Any athlete will take whatever advantage science and technology will give them."

Elbow pads, weight room, hydration drinks are all tools that any sane athlete should take advantage of. And, they are not "...trash..." at all. Don't let your biased opinion blind you from things that help to protect an athlete from serious injury. (Why have helmets?)

That being said, I think Hank was a better Home Run hitter, and obviously a more likeable person. Barry is and was a better all around player. I've read a few books on Barry, and the opinions of his colleagues are not pretty.

As a side note, when I was about 6 years old, I witnessed Hank hitting a Home Run, into the bullpen, vs my Dodgers. My brother & I Booed him, only to be scolded by a lady in front of us. I responded, "He's not on my team." I remember that moment!
A) "Nothing has been proved". Actually, yes it has. Empirical data is observed data, and the growth (his head growth alone is enough) that Barry Bonds has experienced is beyond what being a simple gym rat could ever provide. I would welcome any kind of logical scientific explanation for what has been well documented OTHER then steroids or other unnatural growth substances, banned or otherwise.

B) As for my comment about "trash", I'm, of course, not referring to the above board methods that modern athletes employ, such as hydrating drinks, lifting, etc. Bonds employs many means to enhance his game, some less savory then others. For more information on his "simple elbow pad", read here. The author believes it alone was responsible for a significant amount of his HR's. http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003621797

C) Is Bonds the better all around player? Yup. But, again, Mr. Pumpkinhead tainted his whole career by screwing up the last 7-8 years, and his legacy will be rightfully based upon how he ended, not how he started.