View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #21
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: God Hates the Yankees

If the MLB REALLY wanted to "impede" their dominance, there would be a salary cap. That's plain and simple. Also, buying off free agents rarely works. Ego's, contracts, endorsements, the press, lack of unity, there are a hundred reasons why teams who just toss cash around almost never win now. Anaheim, Detroit, Florida, even St. Louis don't spend anywhere near the cash that Steinbrenner does.

And, no, I would not prefer any of my teams to simply outspend the competition, and not just because I know it doesn't work. There is something inherently "right" about watching a team being built right before your eyes, through good drafting, a great farm system and very selective use of free agency.

A-Rod is a great example. His contract alone is worth about 40 million more than the entire Indians payroll, and outside of a largely meaningless solo shot, he sucked in this series. There are probably 4-5 players on the Indians roster who are actually more valuable than A-Rod, and they proved themselves when and where it counted.