View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: Serious question about Sports Teams?Steelers/Sports related

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Well, as for me, I think the reason is obvious. I've lived in a bunch of different places. I've held a bunch of jobs, and have had a bunch of different bosses. All in all, I've had a lot of change in my life, but the Steelers were a constant. No matter what, every September the Steelers take the field for a new season, a fresh start, and even if the names on the back of the jerseys change, the name on the front doesn't. The Steelers (I also feel the same way about all the sports I watch) are an anchor in my life. No matter what my personal life is like at the time, the Steelers will always play on Sundays in the Fall, without fail.
I know what you mean. Having lived most of my life in or near Pittsburgh, I've felt somewhat marooned in NJ over the last 4+ years. The Steelers, and the Steeler Nation, have helped me feel connected to what will always and forever be my home, even though I will probably never live there again.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I wasn't really one to be bummed out for days after a loss (except for those AFCCG losses and Super Bowl XXX), but since we've left I find myself in mourning for three or four days when we lose (yep, last year was TOUGH). I've mentioned this before on another thread, but I care so much about the outcome of Steeler games that I don't actually enjoy watching them in the moment, unless they're blowouts in our favor and I can relax and enjoy - I'm a nervous wreck. I literally averaged two hours sleep a night during the two weeks leading up to Super Bowl XL. Crazy, isn't it? And when the Steelers play at home on national TV and I see shots of downtown, I get a lump in my throat.

Even though I have a full and busy life where I live, I guess the constant of the Steelers represents my lifeline to home. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote