Old 11-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #15
bangpow
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 792
Default Re: quincy morgan on browns:

Here's an article about what Braylon said and the Dilfer situation:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...05-564462.html

Quote:
BEREA, Ohio - Romeo Crennel is sticking with Trent Dilfer as the Cleveland Browns' starting quarterback - for now.

Despite three straight losses, including one to the previously winless Houston Texans, Crennel prefers to have Dilfer run the offense rather than turn it over to rookie Charlie Frye.

"The team is making slow progress," the Browns coach said Wednesday. "We did some things better in Texas. Not good enough, grant you, but better."

Rookie Braylon Edwards also expressed his support for Dilfer, two days after the wide receiver commented that Frye would bring more life to the offense.

"Trent Dilfer is our guy," Edwards said. "He's the guy we're going to support."

Edwards thought some things he said about the quarterback situation on Monday were taken out of context.

"I was asked one question, `What would be the difference if Charlie Frye started?' I answered that question and the way it was printed, it came off as I said Charlie Frye should start because of these reasons," he said. "It was just a miscommunication."

Edwards said he called Dilfer to clear up his remarks.

"He was a little surprised I called because it wasn't a big deal to him, and it wasn't a big deal to the organization so we just moved past it," Edwards said.

Dilfer downplayed the matter, saying he didn't hear Edwards' comments and was advised by friends not to read the newspaper Tuesday.

"There's no air to clear," Dilfer said. "Braylon and I are good friends and work very well together. I probably enjoy working with him as much as any rookie I've ever worked with."

Click here!

Crennel said Edwards' comments would have bothered him more if they came from a veteran. He addressed the team about the situation.

"They're men. They can talk when they want to talk. I told them I thought they should talk about themselves and their position and not worry so much about other positions," he said.

Crennel certainly is not holding Edwards' comments against him, saying he'll move up in the rotation, sharing more time with No. 2 receiver Dennis Northcutt.

However, just as he has been all season, Crennel was tempered in his enthusiasm for his top draft pick.

"Even though Braylon is coming on and he's a bigger target and has made some catches, he's still a work in progress," Crennel said.

Dilfer has connected with Edwards only 14 times this season, including twice last Sunday, even though Edwards got significant playing time in the second half. Edwards had a big play on the final drive, a leaping 26-yard catch that got the Browns inside Houston territory.

"I'm excited about him on the field and the potential he brings to us for explosive plays," Dilfer said.

Crennel pointed to Cleveland's 156 yards rushing and discipline in committing only one penalty as some of the positives he saw in the loss to the Texans. He didn't mention the passing game, however.

While Dilfer's still his starter, he won't hesitate to bring in Frye against Tennessee on Sunday if things get ugly.

"It would have to be my gut feeling," Crennel said. "If I got a real bad feeling about the way it was going and I wanted to make a change, that's what it would be."