View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #20
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: the "Jeff Gordon has never won this race 500"

Well, the truck thing was a joke, but I should really know better. And all the stuff about talent pools increasing is basically true, no matter how much you dissect it. The FACT remains that NASCAR pulled from a very small segment of just the population of this country, and is now pulling from every Country that has auto racing. Billions? Maybe not. Hundreds of millions? Certainly. And no matter how you shake it out, whether it be football or soccer or golf or basketball or auto racing, if there are more people exposed to a sport, greater talent will emerge. Look at the NBA. There are a TON of European players, and China is next. It's statistically impossible for that not to be the case, though. But I literally can't wait for you to show me how it's not.

As for the technology argument, you're comparing apple and oranges. The WWII comparison was particularly off. Your argument would make sense if today's pilots and WWII pilots were still using the smae basic technology, but they aren't. NASCAR is still essentially using 60's pushrod engine technology. My point was that the cars are even MORE sensitive and HARDER to drive now because the technological advances make changes to the suspensions more dramatic and make set-ups from car to car much more dramatically different from each other.

Again, it's unpopular, because nobody would ever call out the scared cows who pioneered the sport, but it's no different than football. 90% of the players elected who played before the 60's wouldn't even be able to play in the league now, but they were certainly great given relative competition level they played against in their era. If you took Gant, Pearson, Petty, Yarborough and Junior Johnson in their prime and stuck them in IROC cars with Gordon, Kenseth, Johnson, Stewart and Kurt Busch, the latter guys would trounce the former.
Guess what? All the former guys are from the Southeast US, and the latter are from California, Wisconsin, Indiana and Las Vegas.