View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Living Legend
HometownGal's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Police on scene at standoff at Steelers player's home

Update: the standoff ended shortly after midnight with no one getting hurt, thank God. Cedric Wilson was not inside the house but was called to the scene around 5 PM. I hope this young woman gets the help she so obviously needs.

A nearly 12-hour standoff in Pine home of Steelers wide receiver Cedrick Wilson ended peacefully early this morning when police took his girlfriend into custody, police said.

Lindsey Paulat, 26, of Tarentum has been charged with aggravated assault and recklessly endangering another person, said Robert Amman of the Northern Regional Police Department.

She was taken into custody at 12:48 a.m. today. The standoff began at 1 p.m. Saturday and resulted in the evacuation of residents in the housing plan.

"We were looking for a peaceful resolution. We did not move quickly to enter the home. We wanted to end the confrontation peacefully," Amman said.

Amman said that Wilson and Paulat got into an argument at 7 a.m. yesterday morning, and Wilson left the house at about noon. Paulat's mother came to the house to talk to her, and two shots were fired from a .35mm handgun owned by Wilson.

No one was injured.

Paulat's mother left, and police were called.

Amman said that Paulat initially did not want to talk to police or negotiators. She had only one demand, and that was to talk to Wilson. Wilson returned to the scene at 5 p.m., but did not speak to Paulat.

"He's OK; he's fine," said Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett.

Wilson could not be reached last night for comment.

During negotiations, Paulat became upset and distraught, Amman said. She threatened to harm herself. She was alone in the house. Paulat is the mother of an infant, but the infant was not with her, Amman said. It was not immediately clear if the infant is Wilson's child.

"She was extremely upset and not being forthcoming with us initially, so it took some time to get through to her," he said.

Paulat was watching television coverage of the standoff and police cut her satellite TV service. Authorities cut the gas service at 10 p.m. yesterday.

"It ended peacefully. It was a good operation. And it was good cooperation between three major departments -- our department along with Ross Township, their CERT team, Allegheny County Police and city police," Amman said.

Paulat was taken to the Northern Regional Police station, and authorities were trying to determine where she should be taken.

County 911 dispatch said law enforcement learned of trouble at 131 Blue Heron Drive when it received an emergency call about a female in the house.

Gretchen Dunn, who lives about 10 homes from the Wilson house, said she was evacuated at 2 p.m. By 10 p.m., police presence in the neighborhood had increased sharply, Dunn said.

"There are at least 10 more police cars that have come in, and also an armored Allegheny County Police vehicle," she said.

"They are parking so they cannot be seen from the house with the problem. They are also all turning their headlights off. It's like a ghost town," she said.

"This started at 1 p.m. At first, the police were nonchalant about it. An hour later, they went door to door, evacuating people," she said.

At least four police departments responded: Northern Regional, Franklin Park, Allegheny County and Pittsburgh. The Allegheny County Sheriff's Office also was on scene. The Allegheny County SWAT team and the county sheriff arrived at 8:20 p.m.

More than a dozen police cars sat at the entrance to the housing plan, some with their lights on. They had barricaded the street just beyond the first cross street in the plan.

Dunn said police allowed her back into her house at about 6 p.m. But even several hours later, about 40 homes in the neighborhood remained evacuated, she said.

"People have said this was a domestic dispute. This seems like much more than a domestic dispute. I don't understand why they have evacuated the whole development. I feel bad for people who cannot get in," Dunn said.

The first homes in the development, located on the southern edge of Pine, opened about three years ago, and there are homes still under construction there.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote