View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: jim rome pimping sydney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he seems perplexed why someone as talented as him cant elevate hockey back into the #4 sport in america (of course acknowledging he still has to win a cup).
He can't do it on his own TH. IMO, the NHL is horrible when it comes to marketing the sport in the states. When you are televising games on VERSUS instead of ESPN, you know you have problems. For some odd reason, the NHL is ready to show Europe what the NHL has to offer (playing games there next year) instead of marketing it in this country at a higher level.

Dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
question for the natives on a subject that was brought up. will crosby always (no matter what) take a back seat to ben as far as being the toast of the town?
Football is king in this city, so I'm sure Roethlisberger will remain God in this city compared to Crosby. Tell you what though, Sid makes noise in this city. Attendance since his drafting has proven that he has caught the eye of many Pittsburgh residents. He keeps going at this rate, I see no reason why he can't be on the same level of fame as Mario Lemieux in this city.

Eitherway, seeing how Crosby handles himself in the media, I strongly doubt he really cares who the toast of the town happens to be in this city. He just wants to win, bring cups to Pittsburgh and represent the game. If the attention comes his way, then so be it.