Default Re: PSU 2006 Recruiting Class

Commit from top tier WR

Chris Bell (4 stars)
Norfolk, VA

Pos: WR
HT: 6-3
WT: 215
40: 4.5

We brought in three of the nations best recievers in our 2005 recruiting class with Derrick Williams, Justin King, and Lydell Sargent. Well, we brought in another one of the nations best recievers in Granby's Chris Bell. Last season Penn State found to diamonds in the rough at WR in Deon Butler, and Jordan Norwood... Knowledge Timmons was redshirted last season and will be active this year, so Bell has got some work to do to move up the depth chart. A redshirt might be expected... but he does have some size, something the others don't.

Strengths: Body Control, Red Zone Weapon, Size

Bell is the prototype new age receiver, a big bodied kid who can fly. He is a polished receiver with tremenodus ball skills, he uses his body well to shield would be defenders from making a play on the ball. His size and strength should make him a formidable red zone threat.

“He can do a lot of different things,” said Dave Hudak. “He’s strong. He was double covered every game last year and there was a couple of plays where he just shook two guys and physically manhandled them to get them off him and then went another 30 to 40 yards with the ball. He can run past you; he can turn a short one into a very long gain. And he can jump. He’s just a gifted athlete.”

"He's got the quickest hands you've ever seen and he's extremely dangerous after the catch. He's got a lot to learn yet, he's just playing off natural ability." -Granby Coach Dave Hudak

Biography:

As a junior, Bell caught 52 passes taking 12 in for touchdowns. He also added two punt return touchdowns. From his safety position, Bell intercepted five passes. Bell: "I've got great speed for my size and weight at wide receiver, and I've got real good hands. I'm also good at fighting for more yards after the catch."

Last season Bell was named first-team All-Tidewater Last season Bell was named first-team All-Tidewater after finishing with 48 catches for 654 yards and scoring 15 touchdowns.

“A lot of people evaluate me on how I play” this year, Bell said, “but they don’t understand that I play on a very young team.”

Bell, who said he already has qualified academically for college, joins a Penn State team whose current roster features 10 freshmen or sophomore wide receivers.

“I have no problem with battling for a position,” Bell said. “I have no problem trying to beat somebody out. It’s a sport, competition, so I’m used to it.”

At Penn State's Nike Camp Bell ran the 40 in 4.56, Short Shuttle: 4.15, and the 3-Cone in 7.02. He had a vertical jump of 35.0", and a broad jump of 9 feet 3 inches. His other schools of interest were Florida, California, and Michigan.

Last edited by BB2W; 12-16-2005 at 01:54 AM.
BB2W is offline   Reply With Quote