View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 08:42 AM   #11
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Where are all the critics this week??

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Understood! But we did go into the AFC Championship game with a rookie qb, who was under a ton of media pressure. And yes we did lose, but it wasnt like we lost to a lesser team. The Pats, as you know, have won three of the last four superbowls. Was Cowher out coached? Possibly, but BB has out coached everyone the last four season. Not just Cowher. Its not as if Cowher is given the chance at bringing in high priced, great free agents either. He has to stay with a conservative budget, and more or less develop players! I think this says alot about his coaching skills!
I certainly take your point about last year, that Patriots team was one of the finest to win a SB in my opinion - but the Steelers have been regular players in the post-season for quite a while now.

The AFC North has been a poor division for most of its existence which must certainly help a teams regular season record - after this year I know all about poor divisions - the Bengals and Browns v2.0 failing to break .500 more pften than not (the best record has been 9-7 by a Steelers division rival since the AFC North began)

Having said all this, I fully understand the loyalty most fans show Cowher when not in the heat of battle (ie I know how crazy we all get during the game!) - its something I have been moaning about regarding some Patriot fans - who seem to now think that it is their god-given right to dominate every game they play and cruise into the playoffs with a 14-2 record!

The ironic thing is that Cowher has been a victim of his own success - if the Steelers had been less dominant in the regular season - the post-season performances wouldnt seem so bad by comparison.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote