View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
ShiestyLG
Water Boy

Member Number: 353
Default Mock Draft Update

Here?s an updated list from numerous draft sites of possible first round selections. I put together a list to give fans an idea of what people are saying could be potential number one picks, so that if interested, could research them. That's all. No more, no less.

1st round:

Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St.
Spencer Havner, LB, UCLA
DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
Ahmad Brooks, ILB, Virginia
Abdul Hodge, LB, Iowa
Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State

Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NC State
Jesse Mahelona, DL, Tennessee
Claude Wroten, DT, LSU

Charles Gordon, CB, Kansas
DeMario Minter, CB, Georgia
Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
Devin Hester, CB, Miami
Will Blackmon, CB, Boston College
ALAN ZEMAITIS, CB, PENN STATE

Jason Avant, WR, Michigan
HANK BASKETT, WR, NEW MEXICO
Martin Nance, WR, Miami (OH)
Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
Jason Hill, WR, Washington State
Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St

LENDALE WHITE, RB, USC
Michael Bush, RB, Louisville
Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia
Jonathon Scott, OT, Texas
Greg Eslinger, C, Minnesota

Darnell Bing, S, USC

2nd Round:

Jerome Harrison, RB, Washington St
Dontrell Moore, RB, New Mexico

ROGER MCINTOSH, LB, MIAMI (FL)
Kai Parham, LB, Virginia

Greg Lee, WR, Pittsburgh

3rd Round:

RYAN O' CALLAGHAN, OT, CALIFORNIA

Jovon Johnson, CB, Iowa

Manase Hapoi, DL, Washington

I don't know why so many mock drafts have the Steelers taking a CB in the first round. Most of them have no idea about the Steelers and think they have no "pressing needs." Ha! I do like the idea of picking up another CB though. If one of those can slip to the 2nd round, that would be awesome. We need a shut down CB to match up against the likes of Indy, Cin, Den, SD and NE.

In terms of position, WR is the weakest. Ward is the only good reciever. I like El, but who was the FO trying to kid anyway, he is not a #2 reciever. He is a good #3 slot reciever w/ a legit deep threat. Other than that he has the ST thing and QB experience going for him. Wilson is no better than a #3 reciever. He isn't even a third of the reciever Plex is. He made his share of clutch catches, but he had his fair share of drop passes. I haven't seen enough of Morgan due to the depth charts. He made some nice catches, but also missed on some chances, tough he did drawl some penalities. He is a ST beast. If EL leaves, we need to sign Morgan. He's unreal during kickoffs and probably would be a beast at punt returns. I see the top three recievers as;

Ward
WR through either draft or FA
Morgan

As for LB, we have a solid core. I think it's insanity people saying we should straight up cut Porter and Haggans. Remember LB was an issue for depth? Cutting them would solve one thing, cap space, that's it. If we cut them and add another LB, nothing was solved. Depth will still be an issue. I would love to see the Steelers do what Cincy did and draft two LB back to back. We need a pass rusher and two would be even better. It's about time the Steelers had another Llyod/Green tandem to complament the Troy/Hope tandem.

The O-line needs a lot of attention. They play good, but have there days. Simmons is not the answer. I don't see drafting another young lineman yet. We have a good bit of young, inexperienced linemen. We need a proven veteran lineman through trade or FA. The only O-line position I want to see drafted is C. We need another Dawson to protect Ben. Greg Eslinger, C, Minnesota would be ideal.

RB is the third big issue. Bettis will retire, Duce had a glimpse of being special, but is injury prone. I thought we got rid of Kendrell Bell, I gues not? Parker is a good #2, change of pace, Eric Peagrem style. We need a big power back to compliment Parker. I like what Denver is doing with Anderson and Bell. Haynes is a good 3rd down back and S player, no more no less.

The secondary isn't a glarring issue yet. That is unless Hope leaves, which I hope he doesn't. CBs are decent. QB position needs insurance. The only other worry is D-line. Kimo's getting old.

Just some thoughts...
ShiestyLG is offline   Reply With Quote