View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Tomlin High on Mendenhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
I have asked this question about a dozen times today....So lets make it one more time....What OL or DL at 23 do the Steelers take?

Clady, Williams and Albert were gone......Cherilus and Otah were also gone....even freaking Sam Baker was gone...lol I know lets reach for Duane Brown who is a 2nd round talent at best...lol Only OG worth taking in the first was Albert.....No center was worth drafting in the first....

At DL I wasn't really thrilled with Balmer or Campbell....I don't think they fit the 3-4....which the Steelers still employ as their base defense.....Phillip Merling would have been a solid pick and I really could see Merling at 23...But I'm also not sure if he can play in a 3-4.....

Mendenhall was considered the second best RB in this draft and offered to much value to pass up.....Same goes for Sweed in the 2nd round....At the Steelers pick in the second round the OL and DL left didn't meet the value Sweed had.....

There is still some quality OL and DL left out there.....This is were the Steelers really need to hit big and put the final touches on a potentially great draft....
I think there was a couple different things.

1. the idea was to trade down about 5 or 8 picks and pick up another pick in the second or third round. Then, pick up Merling or someone else.

2. the other question is.. why didn't they trade a third to move up and pick a OL or even a DL.

When they were sitting at their pick... and maybe not the right offers coming in... who should have they picked? At that point, other than maybe merling... it is a good pick.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote