View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Re: PETA wants Eight Belles jockey suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
That would be a terrible waste of pentobarbital. I hate PETA with a passion.

This is such a sad incident, much like when Barbaro had to be euthanized. I love horses - co-owned a race stallion back in the early 90's and Anchor was more loving and sincere than most people.

RIP pretty lady.

Another thing we agree on HG. PETA is the biggest bunch of hypocrites in the world. And they have no idea what they are even talking about. A jockey who "felt a problem" pulls up---for his own safety as well as the animal. I find it shameful that PETA would pin the blame on the poor jockey who had tears steaming down his face---he's suffered enough and doesn't need PETA to use him as an opportunity to get their names in the media yet again.

As for Eight Belles---What a beautiful girl you were--and you raced so hard to beat everyone but Big Brown!

This sort of thing will never be removed from horse racing---or horse life in general---they can be fragile and powerful at the same time. The Jockey Club should consider some reforms to breeding standards perhaps---My guess is that that is probably the biggest cause of breakdowns becoming more common---breeding for speed with no eye on bone structure/substance. But no matter what, there will always be breakdowns. Hopefully, in the end, this will cause thoughful discourse more that reactionary backlash.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote