View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #34
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,280 Times in 1,401 Posts
Default Re: Rich Rodriguez was "very distraught" in private meeting the night before he resig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Duke has no business in the ACC as a football program. None. They ruin that conference for football. They should be independent so they can play Buffalo, Temple, Amy and Navy every year and throw in some Sun Belt teams to finish out the schedule.

]
It's been proposed by some that the program should be dropped down to the NCAA's Division I-AA. If being more competitive becomes important, going I-AA makes some sense. At least it would be a reasonable refuge if Duke really wants to have a program.

Whether the 11 other ACC schools would allow Duke to play I-AA in football and remain a conference member for all other sports is debatable. But I wouldn't bet against it at this point. As long as Mike Krzyzewski is coaching, the ACC needs Duke basketball and the money it generates. A compromise could be worked out.

Besides, moving down in football probably would be the best move for everyone. It's obvious that Duke is hurting ACC football, and ACC football -- weak as it may be -- is is only putting Duke in a progressively more hopeless situation.

The league would have to find a 12th member for football-only purposes, but that could be done. Lots of schools would jump at the opportunity. Duke couldn't share in the football revenue, but it still could schedule nonconference games against North Carolina, N.C. State and Wake Forest.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote