View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #35
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Rich Rodriguez was "very distraught" in private meeting the night before he resig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
It's been proposed by some that the program should be dropped down to the NCAA's Division I-AA. If being more competitive becomes important, going I-AA makes some sense. At least it would be a reasonable refuge if Duke really wants to have a program.

Whether the 11 other ACC schools would allow Duke to play I-AA in football and remain a conference member for all other sports is debatable. But I wouldn't bet against it at this point. As long as Mike Krzyzewski is coaching, the ACC needs Duke basketball and the money it generates. A compromise could be worked out.

Besides, moving down in football probably would be the best move for everyone. It's obvious that Duke is hurting ACC football, and ACC football -- weak as it may be -- is is only putting Duke in a progressively more hopeless situation.

The league would have to find a 12th member for football-only purposes, but that could be done. Lots of schools would jump at the opportunity. Duke couldn't share in the football revenue, but it still could schedule nonconference games against North Carolina, N.C. State and Wake Forest.
that makes good sense, if the basketball team could stay. but i doubt they would do that. and besides all the other ACC teams need at least one guarteened win..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote