View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #23
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551
Default Re: The SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
i think the big 10 refuses to have a championship game out of fear that i could knock a team out of the BCS championship game. It has happened to schools from the SEC but it appears to have the opposite effect more often - propelling a team by raising the strenght of schedule of team after it wins. i would have to argue about the proceeds for coming down south. i am sure they would pay well. just like you have to Ohio and YSU for those games.
We've tried to get Notre Dame to join..and they've wussed out on us a bunch..66

Quote:
Following the addition of previously independent Penn State, efforts were made to encourage the University of Notre Dame, the last remaining traditionally independent football powerhouse, to join the league. Early in the 20th century, Notre Dame had sought official entry into the Big Ten but was never extended an invitation.[16] However, in 1999, both Notre Dame and the Big Ten entered into private negotiations concerning a possible membership that would include Notre Dame. Although the Notre Dame faculty senate endorsed the idea with a near unanimous vote, the ND board of trustees decided against joining the conference and Notre Dame ultimately withdrew from negotiations. [2] Though the idea has been revisited in the wake of the Atlantic Coast Conference's expansion to 12 teams, neither Notre Dame nor the Big Ten has taken any official action in pursuit of Notre Dame's membership. Notre Dame had, in 1995, joined the Big East Conference in all sports except football, men's lacrosse, and men's hockey, the latter for which there is no Big East Conference.

Other possible universities that have gained favor for any possible expansion for the 12th spot in the conference include:

* Rutgers University[17][18]
* Syracuse University[17][18]
* University of Missouri[18]
* University of Nebraska[18]
* University of Pittsburgh[19]
* West Virginia University [20]

Due to a requirement of the Big Ten bylaws, any expansion must be within, or next to, current Big Ten territory (although, like all bylaws, this could be amended by conference vote). Due to the addition of the Big Ten Network, expansion talks have been revisited. Expansion could mean adding a conference championship football game and adding a school in or near a large TV market, greatly aiding the Big Ten Network's marketability[17]. It is likely academics will also play an important role in any potential 12th school being invited into the conference.