Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Camp Notes 8/6/2008 - Specifically about Anthony Smith

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Smith still doesn't get it

Anthony Smith returned to practice for the first time since the opening day of training camp and immediately showed what had been missing while he was out – the knucklehead factor.

Smith, who blasted Willie Reid twice on the opening day of camp in non-contact drills - hammered Hines Ward to the ground in a seven-on-seven non-contact drill Wednesday.

The coaches were not at all happy, with one yelling, "Are you out of your cussword deleted mind." It wasn't a question so much as a statement.

Smith was looked at as the team's free safety of the future as recently as last year's training camp, but it's becoming apparent that he just doesn't have the mentality to play the position.

Nailing the team's all-time receptions leader in a non-contact drill is no way to keep your roster spot.

Surprisingly enough, everybody practiced today, save PUP listers Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton. Mike Tomlin did say today that he expects Polamalu and Hampton to return as early as next week.

I really like what I've seen of running back Mewelde Moore as a receiver. He catches the ball fluidly in space and never slows down. The Steelers haven't had a receiving option like him out of the backfield in some time.

Check back here tomorrow for my picks on youngsters to watch in Friday's game

We may like it when Smith does this in a game, but considering that he doesn't learn from the past, he doesn't appear to be very bright. Something tells me that Hines will get a piece of Smith before camp is over...if not by the end of the week.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote