View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pirates finally getting some national press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
But they've continually traded good players for "farm" talent. Seems to me that new management has had plenty of opportunities since they've taken over to start a new "farm" system.

Maybe because I'm not in Pittsburgh, I don't get to hear what's truly going on with the team. However, I know that over the past 5 years they've dealt some key foundational players away for what seems like peanut shells.
They traded good players for crap farm players. They did not do that this year - they got a legit solid major league player in Brandon Moss and 2 potential starters in their minor league system, one of which pitched very well in high A, in the Jason Bay deal. I know Jeff Karstens and Ross Ohlendorf have gotten rocked lately, but both have shown they can pitch effectively at the major league level, and Jose Tabata got rave reviews after he joined Altoona. They, along with another pitching prospect Daniel McCutchen (no relation to Andrew), came over in the Xavier Nady deal. Plus, they have Neil Walker (Pirates' Minor League POTY) and Andrew McCutchen (AAA All-Star) a year away from the majors and if they get this situation with Pedro Alvarez settled, that's one more talented player added to the mix and he would be 2-3 years away if he progresses the way they think. The only thing they don't have in the organization at the higher levels is a legitimate front-end starter prospect, but I think that will be addressed. And, as I said earlier, their draft this season was rated one of the best. So the talent is there - it just needs to be developed. Neal Huntington was part of a successful rebuilding process in Cleveland - I'm willing to give him a chance to see what he can do here. He's already shown signs of being a much better talent evaluator than Littlebrain or Bonifay ever were.