View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #12
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: 4th round pick: WR Fred Gibson

The following is a transcript of Fred Gibson's press conference with the Pittsburgh news media today:

Q: A lot of the draft previews had you going in maybe the late first round or early second round. Are you a little disappointed that you didn't go until the 4th round?

GIBSON: Things didn't go like I wanted them to go. But like my grandma always says, 'Things happen for a reason.' Right now, I'm just happy and honored that Pittsburgh put me in a great situation. Hines Ward went to Georgia and I've got a whole lot of more Georgia players up there also. I'm happy. I just can't wait to get to Pittsburgh and play football."

Q: Do you see yourself as possibly replacing Plaxico Burress?

GIBSON: I thought -- the whole time I had a feeling that Pittsburgh -- before the draft even happened, I had a feeling. I was like, 'I think Pittsburgh might pick me.' It happened. I didn't know where it was going to happen. But, you know what? I'm a happy man right now. I'm eager and I'm ready to play football in Pittsburgh.

Q: Will it bother you if prople start comparing you to Plaxico?

GIBSON: Well, Plaxico is a tall receiver. I'm a tall receiver. It's really not. I don't see it. Like I said, I can't wait until I get to Pittsburgh. I'm going to play football. It's not about what Plaxico did at Pittsburgh. It's about Fred Gibson. It's not about Plaxico right now. Like I said, I'm going to play pretty well.

Q: Have you gotten more consistent as you've gotten older, do you think?

GIBSON: I think so. I really didn't play football until my 11th grade year in high school. I got an opportunity to go to college on a football scholarship. That's when football basically started for me.

Q: How well do you know Hines [Ward]?

GIBSON: I know of Hines pretty well. I know I talked to Hines this whole entire process. This whole draft, I asked him and he told me no matter where you get drafted, it's all about what you do when you get there. Hines is a great player. He's one of the best receivers. He also played at Georgia. So I know he's going to look after me no matter what.