Thread: Prayers Needed
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #27
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Prayers Needed

Again - thank you all so much for praying for my Mom and I ask that you continue with those prayers.

Mom's mental agility is deteriorating rapidly and her docs are shocked. While she was still in the hospital, the psychiatritry staff gave her a "mini-mental" test to determine her agility and she got a 23/30. Before she was discharged, they gave her another one and her score was 20/30. Last Friday when I took her to the psychiatrist for a follow-up, her score was 16/30. He feels this may be due to microscopic brain infarcts that won't show up on any tests. She is also very depressed and because of the depression, doesn't leave her room much except to eat which isn't very often either. I keep telling her that she has to eat to get stronger but she doesn't seem to care, though she claims she wants to go on living. I took her for an exam yesterday morning to her PCP and when he asked her to tell him about her "living situation", she told him "it's fine - I live at home in my house". Mom honestly believes she is still at home. It's a very sad situation all the way around.

When your loved ones get up in years, spend as much time with them as you can and make sure they know how much you love them. Mom and I are very close and I don't hesitate to tell her and show her how much I love her and that I will stand by her no matter what. I've been terribly stressed out by this situation, but the way I look at it is that my parents scooped me out of an orphanage at the tender age of 7 months, called me their own, took care of me throughout my life and gave me a wonderful, happy childhood, and now it is MY turn to take care of my Mom, as my Dad would want.

Quite honestly, I don't believe she will be with us next Christmas, so the family and I are going to make this Christmas very special for her!

God Bless all of you and again, many thanks for your love and prayers.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote