View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Anybody ever coach Youth Sports?

I was an semi-assistant coach with a friend's Lil League football team. I helped coach the WRs, TEs and DEs. However, come game day, it was the "Big Three" who had to deal with the parental flak. That's pretty much where it all comes from too.

I don't know if you have other volunteers that can help you form a staff, but I'd try to find a hitting, pitching and defensive coach if possible. Not knowing your experience/familiarity with baseball/softball, I can't go into greater detail. Of course, considering my lack of experience/familiarity with coaching/playing the sport, there's not much to tell.

I'm a spreadsheet guy...and tried to monitor minutes/plays via excel to help ensure everyone got a fair shot.

There's a lot of things to consider as well. Number of players on your team, age group (the older the age group, the more competitive it generally gets...and so the less playing time for your less than stellar athletes).

The Co-Ed volleyball league that I'm Captain/Coach on is really led by the females on the team...most of whom played in college. I'm more the coach in name than anything else (for organization, emails, schedule changes and such.)

Don't be too tough on them. Don't show favortism. Don't let the parents get to you. That's about it.