Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: as a pirate fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Steeler Steve View Post
I never have been able to fully understand what happened after "92", I mean the Pirates were (in my opinion) the best team in the NL "90", and "91". I believe the Braves were the best in "92" but why the drop off without ever being able to come back. i am a Big Braves fan but due to my Steeler faithfulness i have always had a warm spot in my heart for the Pirates.
Free agency happened. The Pirates just could not afford to keep all of that talent after 1992. Then after Syd Thrift left as the GM, they've had one bumbling idiot after another, and had absolutely dreadful scouting. On top of that, they couldn't make any money being a small-market team in a money-losing stadium, and salaries escalating out of control in the 90s, they couldn't bring in talent. And for the past 8 years, it's been horrible and cheap-ass management who refuse to spend money even though they make money every year off PNC Park and get money from revenue sharing. But it seems now with Neal Huntington running the show and Bobby Nutjob realizing that scouting and player development actually deserve a little more than a couple of bucks, they're starting to rebuild the system by acquiring and drafting talent. And it's been quality talent - not too many scrubs. Their draft last year was rated as one of the best in the league. They're about to open a facility in the Dominican Republic and they're finally putting scouts in Japan and Korea. But it's still going to be at least 2 years before you see any kind of improvement or contribution from the players they've brought in.